Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Never Say These Things Again, Customers


I decided to make a list (in bullet form since I learned the HTML code for it. Fancy, ain't it?) of all the things I hate to hear coming from the mouth of a customer. None of them are unique or interesting and I don't care to ever hear these phrases again. Holla to Thomas for the inspiration for this bitchy post.


  • "Oh I hated it." when I clear their plate that they virtually licked clean. Tired joke.
  • "You don't even have to send that plate to the dishwasher." when I clear their plate that they virtually licked clean. Tireder joke.
  • "What do you have to drink?" This makes me crazy. Every restaurant has the same things to drink. They just do.
  • "Can I get seconds?" If you want to order another entree, that is fine with me.
  • "Are you an actor?" All waiters in New York City are not actors. I happen to be one.
  • "Have I seen you in anything?" You have never seen me in anything unless you make a habit of seeing really bad theater in basements in the outer boroughs. Or maybe you picked me out of the crowd scene in that Enchanted movie.
  • "What's good?" The most expensive thing is the best tasting thing on the menu. Order two.
  • "Is this really Diet Coke?" If you ordered a fucking Diet Coke, then you got a fucking Diet Coke. The only time I may switch one soda for another is when a fat kid orders a third Coke. The third one will be a Diet Coke because it just needs to be.
  • "I'm allergic to ________ ." Are you really allergic to it or do you just not want it?
  • "It's my birthday!" Hurrah for you. You were born. What a colossal achievement to be proud of. No, you do not get free shit.
  • "I'm a really good tipper." Anyone who says this is not a good tipper. Ever.
  • "We are really in a hurry." No you're not. You're just really hungry.
  • "Do you have a restroom?" Seriously?
  • "I would like a cup of hot coffee." Thank you for reminding me to not get your coffee from the pot that is labeled room temperature coffee.
  • "Is our food ready?" Yes, it is. It's been sitting back there on a shelf for 15 minutes but I just wasn't sure that you really wanted it but now that I know you do, I will go get it.
  • "I know what I want to order" when you clearly have no idea what the fuck you want to order.
  • "Oh you don't close for five more minutes? Whew, we made it just in time!" I hate you and so does the kitchen staff. Please do enjoy our saliva.
  • "Is this dessert low calorie?" They think it's funny to ask this as they cram a cheesecake into their face. It's not funny. It's sad.
  • "Can I get these fries to go?" Just eat the fucking fries now. They are only french fries and they will taste like ass when you try to reheat them in your microwave tomorrow.
  • "What else do you do?" as if waiting tables isn't enough to occupy one's life. It's insulting and I don't need to tell you what else I do with my life. (I sit at home and question my decision to not get my teacher's certificate.)
  • "Can I get some more bread?" Just because it is free does not mean you have to eat a baker's dozen worth of rolls.
  • "Thank you." Just kidding. Nobody ever says that.

What do you hate hearing at work?

CLICK HERE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO FOLLOW THIS BLOG
Share/Bookmark

18 comments:

Unknown said...

"I'll have a rum and coke" Or insert any alcoholic beverage here. The place I work obviously doesn't serve alcohol.

"Are you a student?" because why else would I choose to work at such a dump.

"Why is this so expensive?" Because I know why this place charges what it does, and I being a server must have some say in the prices. Right.

"Tell the cook to hook it up" Hhhhmmm no, you really don't want me to do that.

"Can I get a buffalo chicken sandwich, but instead of chicken can I have a boca burger? And instead of a ciabatta roll can I have wheat toast? And can you make me guacamole to put on it?" Seriously people, just order off the fucking menu.

Unhinged said...

I have to say, you hit the most irritating one; "Is my food ready?" When it's ready I'll bring it out!

"Smile!" like you go around with a huge grin on your face all the time at work? I am eating/smoking/standing in the server station. I am not interacting with anyone at the moment and do not need to smile to myself. If you want me to smile, tell a joke or go sit at a table where I have to give you my best fake grin.

MTW said...

a guest will order a decaf coffee, and say "now make sure it's decaf, or i'll be up all night." so i drop the coffee to the guest and get to listen to this: "are you suuuure this is decaf? i'll call the restaurant tomorrow and complain if it's not decaf! or better yet, give me YOUR phone number and i'll call YOU in the middle of the night if i'm still awake!"

or "this drink isn't strong enough. take it back and ask the bartender to put more alcohol in it." sure, asshole, if you want to pay for a double i'd be happy to.
ps, moron- maybe you can't taste the booze because you got a FUZZY NAVEL.

Mel said...

Not at a restaurant, but at my shop I get asked ALL The time.. "Can you lower the price of that?" If the price of it was lower...it would be marked as such...you dont go to the grocery store and ask for the loaf of bread to be $1 instead of $2...so fuck off. k? thanks.

Lea Anne said...

LOL those are all awesome. My favorite is when they ask for a diet coke then tell everyone at the table that they cant tell the difference between regular and diet........ Why the hell are you ordering it???

Linny said...

When you ask people if they would like a beverage, or something to drink , and they say, "No, I only want a water" Umm ok dumbass. Last time I checked, water is still liquid, and you can drink it. Duhh.

Linny said...

I unfortunately work in a fine establishment where I have to write my name upside down on the table. It takes everything in my power not to sucker punch the aholes that make comments like "gee, how long'd it take you to learn that", or "wow, arent' you smart". GO f yourself.

Dirty Disher said...

"Hey, honey." I am not your "honey"..I will stab your eyes out with a fork.

Maureen said...

"Can you repeat that?"

Anonymous said...

I love when, say they order a burger, and as you are serving it to them and right before the burger even hits the table, they say "I need some mayo with that."

Obviously you knew you needed mayo when you ordered the burger, couldn't you have told me then? No, because you think I like walking back and forth to the kitchen 50 extra times a night.

Becky said...

I work at a hotel. I could go forever without hearing...

"Where should I park?"...Hmmm I'd say in the parking lot.

"Are you a student?" (yeah I get that too) No I'm not. I'm stuck in this dead end job and don't like to be reminded of it.

"Why don't I have the same rate as my friend?" I have no friggin clue...did you book your room at different times? Use different websites?

"Is this hotel safe?" We're in a tiny suburban town in Connecticut. yes...it's safe.

"Should I lock my car?" ...

Becky said...

Oh! One more favorite of mine... "Is the pool on the first floor?"

Anonymous said...

while i'm wiping the glass windows down as part of my side work,
"I should take you home and you can do that for me!"

contrary to popular opinion, I am not your own personal slave, no matter how many times you made me run to the kitchen while you were in this building, alright bitch?

Anonymous said...

Our specials run Monday to Wednesday all day long, and everyday from 3pm to 6pm.

I tell the guest this, verbatim, when the special is on.

Without fail, every single time, they only hear half of it.

If it's a Tuesday, the automatic response is: "Oh, well it's 7pm. You said 6. Can we get it now?"

If it's a Thursday at 5: "Oh, well it's Thursday, not Monday through Wednesday. We can't get it?"

What the shit is in your ears?

Maria said...

(Scene: It's a steakhouse, they ordered a 22oz. porterhouse well done, and it's been more than 8 seconds):

"Are they killing the cow back there?"

Yes, that's how it started out, sir, but the cow's gained control of the knife, and well, it's anyone's game now. Pay no attention to the screaming and bleeding. More rolls?

Kassie said...

'I used to be a chef, and this menu doesn't look right.' Get back in your own kitchen then!

'I'm a vegetarian - what are my options?' Read the vege menu; or sod off and die.

I find the 'Is this all you do?' question insulting as well.

Anonymous said...

Sadly they do...

AllIsFreeHere said...

tomb raider 2013 highly compressed pc game download is a 2013 action-adventure video game developed by Crystal Dynamics and published by Square Enix's European subsidiary. It is the tenth title in the Tomb Raider franchise, and operates as a reboot that reconstructs the origins of Lara Croft