Sunday, September 2, 2012

Spork Off, Buddy

You know I love it when I can put a customer in his place. Like when they are arguing that the menu says one thing when I know good and well that it says something else. Nothing is more fun than letting some douche hat paint himself into a corner and then smacking him upside the head with a cold dose of reality when I tell him what he is saying is wrong. How fun is it when someone complains that their sandwich has onions on it and "it should say that on the menu" and then we get to point to the menu that says "served with onions." The customer always makes that face that always make laugh. Do this and you will know what I mean. (No, seriously, do it.) Scowl your eyebrows, flare your nostrils, purse your lips and inhale through your nose all at the same time. Did you do it? It's the look that says, "Oh my God, I am so embarrassed and I need to shut the fuck up." Someone sent me a little story recently (holla, Chris C.) and it made me happy. Read this:


(At a Red Lobster In Macon, Georgia) A few months ago at work I had a grown man ask me for "plastic culinary" and when I stared at him with a puzzled look on my face he laughed (a deep pretentious laugh), looked around at the ladies sitting at the table, smiled like an asshole and said, "You know, a plastic knife, spoon, and fork? Culinary. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have expected you to know that." I just smiled and said, "I believe the word you're trying to embarrass me with is 'cutlery' - 'culinary' is used in relation to cooking or a kitchen and not the utensils."


Oh, how I wish I could have been there when that man did "the look" because you know he did it in an extra hard way. He was all trying to be impressive with his use of an SAT word that had four syllables in it and ended up looking like a Taco Supreme Ass Hole. Like he thinks that the waiter couldn't possibly know what "culinary" or "cutlery" is. And why the hell did he want plastic fucking utensils anyway? He's at Red fucking Lobster. Isn't the all-you-can-eat shrimp plastic enough? Is he one of those assholes who always ask for a cup of hot water so he can wash his silverware in it before it enters his precious germ-free pie hole? I can just see the guy now, in his JC Penney tie on his lunch break from his cubicle where he answers the phone for Georgia Power and Electric. Or maybe he was the boss and he took his secretary and assistant out to lunch for Appreciation Day at the Red Lobster because the TGIFriday's was too crowded. I hope he eventually got his plastic cutlery and as he tried to break into that lobster tail with his plastic knife, I hope it snapped in two and sent melted butter all over his pleated Dockers leaving a stain right at the crotch so it looked like he went to the bathroom and did a little dribble.

People like that piss me off. I'd like to tell him where he can put that plastic utensil. Hey buddy, spork off.



I am looking for Guest Bloggers. Click here for more info.


Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter on Twitter.
Click here to find The Bitchy Waiter on

16 comments:

Rogue Wino said...

Who the frig asks for plastic utensils when dining at a restaurant? I think I would have taken off my apron right then and there- people like that have also probably never heard of tipping

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be honest....its one race of people that do it. I work at red lobster and it can get quite ghetto! 9 times out of ten you can bet they will ask for a "cup of hawt wawta" or plastic ware to go with their "seizure" salad. Yes seizure salad. Just being honest.

vailcowboy said...

I believe you take this shit too seriously. Restaurant guests are going to continue behavior which will confound anyone not expecting it. I am pleasantly surprised when cultured guests enjoy a meal without absurdities.

Anonymous said...

I work at an equally ghetto establishment (Joes Crab Shack) and I'd have to agree with the previous post about one general race always asking for plastic utensils or a cup of hot water to soak their utensils. People truly are idiotic and will never understand how ridiculous they make themselves look. Those are also the same type of tables that will for sure stiff you 100% of the time.

Anonymous said...

You make my nights so much easier to deal with. Just like the pinot grigio in my coffee cup! Bless you forever!!

Anonymous said...

You make my nights so much easier to deal with. Just like the pinot grigio in my coffee cup! Bless you forever!!

IH8RL said...

Glad I got some back up on that comment! I thought for sure people would hate on me for that. But the truth is the truth...
Bitchy I love your blog and the fellow servers who comment..you guys make me feel not so alone! Haha

Christina W. said...

I used to waitress at Perkins Family Restaurant, and we had a regular customer who was OCD. He'd order a hamburger and fries every time, and you had to bring it out in pieces so he could put it together himself. He'd also ask for plastic utensils (for his fries!) and a to go cup every time.

cousinit said...

First off let me say I love your freaking blog!!! Love love love... second YAY!! A restaurant in Macon Georgia made it to a post (even if it's negative, we need all the acknowledgement of existing we can get)....sucks dude had to be an azz...and lastly, I wish we had a TGIFridays in Macon...need more variety to get drunk after a total suckazz workday stuck in a cubicle listening to crappy elevator music...

allergictostupid said...

I always laugh a little when you get those guests that want a cup of hot water for their silverware and their drinks in to-go cups...but they eat off the real plates. That are washed in the same dishwasher as the silverware and glasses. These are the same people that want a to-go box for their syrup-soaked half of a pancake, and a refill drink to-go. But it's really no longer surprising after so many years.

TheMeanager said...

Lol this reminded of something that happened along time ago when I first started in this industry,this lovely couple sits in my station and obviously on a date.....
Me: Are we ready to order?
Lady: are your shrimp divine?
Me: (puzzled look)
Lady: divine....divine...DI-VI-NE
Me:sure I guess,I haven't had them but I haven't gotten a complaint on them either
Lady :Dont you know what divine means?( rolls her eyes and gives her date a smirk,like I'm the asshole)
Me: I look at her date (i give him the WTF please help me out look)
Her Date:She means deveined
Me: oooohhhhhh,yes they are
Lady: (rolls her eyes and give the menu a smirk)
After that she didn't look up once everytime I checked up on them

espinaca. said...

People who pretend they know what wine they're ordering are my favorite! Ask me for a "Pinot" and wonder why I ask red or white? That's almost as bad as saying "oh, I'll just have a beer".. Rar! Or when they order a zinfandel and wonder why it's not fizzy and pink.. and of course blame my lack of knowledge.

LadyJ3000 said...

My mom told me how a customer once ordered a filet mignon. Or as the customer pronounced it a fil let mig nan.

This came about five minutes after the customer lectured her about not pronouncing sauvignon blanc correctly.

Anonymous said...

I used to wait at an RL.... Table of 3 black somewhat ghetto but nice and goofy kids... The one orders.. "I'll have the uwmm, shrimp luigi Alfredo" ...I lost it. Thankfully the other 2 did too and unfortunately I kept my job.

Anonymous said...

This happened tonight at my work. I work on a Fine Dining Dinner Cruise Yacht...and no we do not have plastic cutlery. So next thing the table of 16 ask for cups of hot water..which most got spilled on the linen tablecloth. The majority of the table were soo loud that other guest trying to have a nice dinner found it difficult to hear the person seated across from them. In my head im asking...sooo our silverware is so germ infested you must sanitize it before use. But the plates the food will be served on and the glasses you are drinking from are somehow clean??? I have only seen one race of people do this kind of thing with the plastic cutlery. I dont like to stereotype but it is no longer stereotyping when it is consistently true. The same goes with that same culture with tipping..especially if you are a white female server. The exceptions to that are few and far between. Im not trying to be rude and im not a racist. i have many friends from different cultures. I myself have a blended family. In my mind when someone exhibits this type of behavior towards me , they are the ones playing the race card because the whole time they are giving me a difficult time they are laughing as though it is the evenings entertainment. yes as servers we live off of our tips so if you go out to eat and run your waitress, and i dont care if you are too cheap to order drinks and require your water to be filled 20 times the entire night. you are still getting service. Tip according to the level of servive you receive. PS the standard $5.00 is not a good tip for hours of service and a bill over $100.00. If you can afford to drink that Hennessy , you should be able tp afford to tip.

jessica said...

Excellent blog and very helpful information.