Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Not Too Close For Comfort

At my job, I get to serve drinks during the shows of some extraordinarily talented people, some of whom are very famous. It's kind of a treat when someone I have known of my entire life shows up to sing there and I get to meet them and talk to them and hear their show. It's definitely a perk with my job. This very thing happened a few weeks ago.

If you grew up in the 80's, you must remember Too Close for Comfort. It ran on ABC from 1980 to 1986 and it was pretty popular. It ran on Tuesday nights right after Happy Days, Lavern and Shirley and Three's Company. It was the best television night of the week ever, except for Saturday night when Love Boat and Fantasy Island came on. If you don't recall Too Close For Comfort, what the hell is wrong with you? I loved the crazy wacky neighbor Monroe who was was played by Jim J. Bullock. He was gayer than the day is long and makes Lispy Gay seem like a butch leather daddy. The show was your typical sitcom fare with a bumbling dad (Ted Knight), two hot daughters (Has Been #1 and Has Been #2) and a sensible all knowing mom named Muriel Rush played with perfection by Nancy Dussault. Nancy Dussault is who I had the pleasure of listening to while I waited tables. She has a real long legitimate Broadway career and I was excited to meet this lady who I had grown up watching. When she came in for her sound check, I was hoping she would be as cool and as sweet as she seemed on television in the 80's. (It's amazing that I an even recall seeing her on television in the 80's since I wasn't even born yet...) Guess what. She was so freakin' cool. She was genuine and sincere and smiled a lot and I even had a conversation with her which thrilled me to no end. I would like to dictate the entire conversation for your reading pleasure:

NANCY: Hi there. Would you mind getting me a glass of water please?
ME: Not at all. Do you want ice?
NANCY: No thank you.
(I got her a glass of water and put a straw in it. The straw still had the paper wrapper around the top of it. I handed her the glass as she pulled the paper off the straw.)
NANCY: Teamwork!
ME: That's right!

So I may have only had the most banal of conversations, but this is what I was thinking in my head:
Oh my God, I can't believe I am meeting you. I loved Too Close For Comfort. Do you still talk to the rest of the cast? Well I know you don't talk to Ted Knight anymore because he's dead and that would be creepy, but do you still talk to the live ones? Was Jim J. Bullock as gay as he seemed? I loved him. He was funny. I know your character was a photographer who used to be a singer but how come they didn't let you sing on the show all the time? Oh my god, that would have been so cool. I love in the opening credits how Ted Knight would fall off that couch? That was so funny. Was it hard to shoot that scene because it was so funny? Oh my god, it was so funny. Hey, do you know Fonzie? Can I hug you? Because I really think you're cool. You guys should totally have a reunion show and I would totally watch it. I mean, it would be sad that Ted Knight wouldn't be on it, but it would still be pretty cool. The girls who played your daughters were so hot but Monroe was my favorite. Next to you, I mean. You are my favorite. Hey, do you know Suzanne Sommers?

Don't worry, I kept it together and made that conversation stay inside my mind. I played it smooth. Her show was great. She can still sing, she's very funny and I really enjoyed getting her a glass of water. And you should totally refresh your memory about her television career by watching this video. Once you see it, you too will think that when Ted Knight falls off the couch, it's really really for reals funny.


Click here for Bitchy Waiter merchandise.
Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter blog.
Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter on Twitter.
Click here to find The Bitchy Waiter on Facebook.


Share/Bookmark

16 comments:

Jon Hanson said...

That's awesome.. I loved that show too. It's funny, you see Jim J Bullock pop up on other shows every once in awhile but have not seen either of the daughters at all.

I would have loved to hear Nancy's response to all your questions - although my guess is she just would have given you a frightened stare!

SD
http://simpledudecomplexworld.blogspot.com/

Jennifer Kay said...

What in the hell was up with the rainbow-ish wallpaper...hilarious!

BB said...

I watched that show occasionally since it was on when I was young and a party girl so I wasn't around TV much then. It was a cute show. Glad you got to meet her and speak actual words!!!

Mark W said...

Do you remember when they changed the name/format of the show in it's last season, and got rid of the daughters? He and Muriel moved, and I think he may have bought a magazine or newspaper of his own? I think it did pretty well, but he died at the end of the season in real life. And I think they put the original TCFC title back on those episodes for syndication...

Prettypics123 said...

Your "in your head stuff" was terrific! I love it! And T. Knight was damn funny falling off that couch. Thanks for the laughs!

Ashley said...

You inspired me to blog about my own "celeb" experience while waiting tables!

http://waitress-tales.blogspot.com/

jdracecar said...

I LOVED Too Close For Comfort! I feel like some people my age didn't enjoy that treasure! I loved your "in your head" thoughts, I think mine would have been very similar!

Practical Parsimony said...

Hey, bw, I thought you did not want anyone to know where you worked? Hilarious post.I have those conversations in my head, in fantasies, and in the wake of talking to someone whom I admire. My fear is that one of the conversations will just jump out of my mouth or slither through my lips.

Mary A. said...

I know you're too cool for that kind of gushing, but don't you think that would have made her day??? You love it when WE tell you how great you are, don't you think she would too?

If it were Paris Hilton, no. But if you ever get to meet the girl who played Blair on Facts of Life. . .tell her I wanted to be her. OK?

Heather said...

The main point of your story aside...You are so fricking right about Saturday night! I loved watching The Love Boat and Fantasy Island. De plane, de plane!

SkippyMom said...

I have to agree - those were the two best nights of the week for TV! And your inner monologue is hysterical and sounds exactly what I would want to say.

How has she aged I wonder. Glad her voice is still beautiful.

Lucky you BW!

Mannix said...

I think I saw one of the daughters one of the CSI shows. Don't take my word on it though.

CarrieMarie said...

oh, i loved that show! there was a puppet... and jm j bullock was my favorite character! and he was a character! lol

Juniper said...

I'm sad to say my little seventeen year old self has never seen the show, but I think I recognize the lady. 'S so cool you get to see people like that at work, though. If I ever see anyone at my "job," they're just obnoxious teenaged girls. Yech.
And keep up the good work, Bitchy! Reading your blog always makes my day better...not that it probably means much to you. ;P

Juniper
http://wbah.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I just had to come over and check out the other Too Close For Comfort post. I use to watch this show also and loved it, like you my favorite was Monroe and also like you, my thinking reaction towards meeting ANY star would be like yours.

When I read your comment on my post I all but pissed my pants with excitement, YOU are my star and even though I have or may never meet you, YOUR COMMENT MADE MY DAY!! THANK YOU.

Joey Spagna said...

I like her hiney. i used to wait until they showed her walking away. She's my favrite MILF. I love MilF hineys.