Monday, November 8, 2010

There's No Place Like Home

After a week of training at my new job where the people are less than friendly and the protocol is ridiculously strict, it was so nice to be back at my old job last night. It was if I had just clicked my heels together three times and was suddenly transported back to a place that was comfortable. There truly is "no place like home." My old job opened up her arms and smothered me in a warm welcoming embrace. Last night, I chatted with the host who I actually like. A lot. He didn't ignore me or tell me to clear a table like those cold bitches at the new job. My co-worker laughed at my jokes and I laughed at his, not like at the other job where no one talks to me because I'm the new guy. And most importantly, at the end of the shift, the bartender made me not one, but two citrus martinis. I think I missed him most of all. He's my scarecrow.

When I took my first order and walked back to the computer, the familiarity of that old fashioned piece of crap was so nice. Seriously, the computers that we use at the old job are like from 1986. They are huge and awkward and the screen looks like an Atari video game. (If you are too young to know what that means, I officially hate you.) Sure the fancy touch screen Aloha computers at the new job are nice, but sometimes I want a throw back to the when the days were more simple and carefree. It was nice last night to know the answers to the questions that people asked instead of having to go find out or just make something up. I suppose that eventually, I will feel comfortable at the new job, but it takes time. Time that I don't want to give. No one bossed me around last night, no one told me I was being too loud, and no one made me go to the basement and polish glasses for an hour and a half.

But alas, I have taken a new job. And given up unemployment to do so. I have painted myself into a corner because if I quit I can't just go back to unemployment. Now if they let me go though, I could. (Note to self: get fired.) I thought I could find something better in the world of food service, but I didn't. I understand now how Dorothy felt. "If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again. I won't look any further than my own backyard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with." True dat, Dorothy. True dat.

And if you like that image of the ruby slippers, you can fucking buy it here. Yeah, I painted it...)


Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter blog.
Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter on Twitter.
Click here to find The Bitchy Waiter on Facebook.


Share/Bookmark


11 comments:

Mary A. said...

You paint too? Dude -- you rock. Seriously.

The Empress said...

I'm with Mary. Your list of talents is beyond impressive. You are seriously too good for that new batch of f*ckwits!

http://rantersbox.blogspot.com

BB said...

I understand how you feel about going back to your comfort zone. You have to do what you have to do as far as employment but I hope something else comes through for you so you can tell these asses exactly what you think of them.

SkippyMom said...

Nice talent BW - that is just lovely.

And you don't hate me..or my husband, we so got the Atari reference.

Too bad tho' - I bet it doesn't have space invaders on it. Loved that game.

bistis6 said...

And who could that host be??? Hmmmm.... You're always welcome at my podium, and you can slam the shit out the door. I care not! In fact, I welcome it. Slam away. Pretend that Linda Evan's head is in the door.

Unknown said...

Mmm....citrus martinis...I lost all focus at that point, sorry. :)

Derby Wallus said...

I know exactly how you feel about being the new guy. I just started a new job too and the best I get from my co-workers is that fake-friendly attitude bullshit that we have to use on the customers. Ridiculous is what it is. >.<

CarrieMarie said...

You are so talented!! : )

Mustang Sally said...

Love the ruby slippers painting! Glad you said it was your original though, cuz I collect WofOz graphics and was looking for the credit to see if it was grabbable. I don't do thievery.

If I had any job I would have definitely bought a mug or mouse pad or something. No income sucks, so yeah, don't let the new place get to you to badly ... until you find something to replace it with.

that guy said...

hey BW...i can relate...

i once went from working at a small chain 30 hours or so a week and struck of the the Emerald, er, uh, i mean, to the RedAndWhite stiped city.

suffice it to say the staff at the evil empire treated me like elephant man...

it was noice to go back to my comfy spot when i finally came to my senses and quit...

hang in there tho...good blog topics are hard to come by sometimes but a job is always good well from which to drink...

Sharlene T. said...

Don't worry. Pretty soon, you'll be feeling sorry for a new new guy... But, it is nice to go back to what we thought was hell and it turns out that it's not! Come visit when you can...