Tuesday, July 27, 2010

How To Make More Money

"Do you want to make more money? Of course we all do." Does that phrase ring a bell for anyone? It's the opening line for the commercial that iconic actress Sally Struthers did in the early 90's for International Correspondence Schools. That shit ran all the time usually when you were watching your stories to see if Luke and Laura were going to stay together on "General Hospital." Sally offered all of us the opportunity to learn at home and get better jobs and promotions. If you called the 1-800 number you could be on your way to an exciting career in learning the personal computer, interior decorating, child day care, gun repair, or even catering! Luckily for me, I had an innate skill for catering and gun repair so I never had to call the number. Other people who are too afraid to make the call that will change their life have to come up with other ways to make more money and I came across one of these people last week.

I was sitting on the bus in San Francisco when I heard this dumb bitch behind me yapping on her cell phone. She was jib jabbing away about things that nobody cared about but we were all forced to listen to. And then things got interesting. She started to tell her friend how she had discovered a new way to make more money at her job. I thought that maybe she wasn't as dumb as she sounded because she clearly seemed as of she wanted to move ahead in her career. My nosy ass started listening closer to see if I could glean some wisdom from this career-minded independent woman. And then I realized she was a fucking cocktail waitress. And her brilliant idea to make more money was basically stealing. She had realized that if she didn't ring in all the drinks and just collected the money, she could then pocket that cash as her own. Bitch, please. Does she really think she is the first one to come up with that idea? Waiters have been skimming like that since the dawn of time. I think Benjamin Franklin was pocketing coins the same way when he was waiting tables at Ye Olde Tavern Inn back in 1750 right before he discovered electricity and invented bifocals. She was all proud of herself for discovering stealing. "Girl, I took a hundred dollars last night. If I could do that three times a week that would be like... (ridiculously long pause here as she tried to multiply) ...$300 dollars a week!" Yes, honey or $1200 a month. And then two to three years in jail when they bust your ass for theft. She was clearly not the brightest bulb. Every smart thieving waiter knows that taking that much a week is just asking for trouble. Start small. Ten dollars here and ten dollars there. What a fucking amateur.

I don't steal from my jobs. Not worth it. Sure maybe the occasional cocktail or a lunch that I eat that I don't pay for, but cash? No way. Never. Well, except for that one summer I worked at a Putt-Putt miniature golf course and pilfered a few bucks a day to pay for my Dairy Queen blizzards and my lunch of chicken sandwich from the Burger King that shared the parking lot with me. But nothing since then. (Sorry, Putt-Putt. I was young and hungry and only making $5.00 an hour.) Word of advice: don't steal. If you want to make more money, take Sally's advice and call this number: 1-800-228-3800. And you can watch her commercial here and be on your way to financial freedom.


Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter blog.
Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter on Twitter.
Click here to find The Bitchy Waiter on Facebook.


Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Mark said...

You had a Burger King next to your high school? All I had near mine was a Circle K and a "fun center" that closed down my sophomore year! We could drive down the road to DQ if we had a car or knew someone with one, but usually just stuck to the school cafeteria.

Terra said...

really my high school is in walking distance of woods.

Alexa O said...

Stealing from the restaurant is a terrible idea. Not because it's immoral, but because your job is worth more than the money you'll pocket.

In order to make $100 in one night she must not have rung in a single drink. How is she going to explain that?

"Oh, ummmmmm.... I... uh... no one in my section wanted any drinks? Because it was so cold out? And so I didn't bring them any? Yeah, that's it."

Unknown said...

One of the first things I do when I start a new job is figure out at least 10 ways to rip them off. Of course, I rarely actually do it.

Mary A. said...

The cocktail waitress is a bimbo. But what I really want to know is, what degree did Ms. Struthers get? Because you KNOW she didn't make a penny after All in the Family.

Meathead, on the other hand, is a multimillionaire.

m!chael said...

HAH Love it!!! Sadly when I was a kid I could recite the whole damn commercial. Typically I did it to annoy the hell out of my mother. It's weird looking at a pic of Sally from back then ... she looks like a vacant stuffed doll in that photo.

Keda said...

stealing is never the answer. really. and for some reason people are always surprised when they get caught and always meaning to stop. I'm sorry, you steal for weeks / months / years but always meant to stop. when exactly? like, when you got caught.

nope stealing comes back to bite you in the ass. always.