Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Advice for Men

Today is the day we think it's okay to eat sixteen ounces of chocolate from Walgreen's. It's February 14th and Valentine's Day. Thankfully, I am not working in a restaurant this evening so I will not have to look at all the couples who are goo-goo ga-ga over each other as they share a plate of cheese fries. Instead, I will be at a restaurant all goo-goo ga-ga and sharing a pitcher of Margaritas with that special someone. There may be food involved as well, but there will definitely be tequila. I will keep this brief because I am ready to get my VD on, but I wanted to share a few thoughts about this day. Some pointers, if you will, for the two or three guys who read this blog:
  • Do not buy your roses at the deli.
  • There are other flowers other than roses. Your girlfriend might appreciate a bit of thinking outside the box. A dozen long-stemmed roses are so traditional and so very fucking done.
  • Do not buy any flowers that have baby's breath in them. If they are in the bouquet you bought at the Stop and Shop, take that shit outta there. It's tacky and makes the flowers look even cheaper than they probably were.
  • One single rose is not romantic. It's lame. If it lights up, you are especially lame.
  • A bigger Valentine card does not mean you are more romantic. No girl wants that big huge card that they have to lug around all day. It will get thrown away. Trust me. Simple is better. And write something on it. More than a sentence. It will take you far.
  • No stuffed animals. She doesn't want another stuffed teddy bear that says "I love you beary much."
  • You don't have to buy that big ass heart-shaped box of chocolate. Try something like an upscale chocolate place (Kees, Leonidas, or Godiva in a pinch) and just choose four or five truffles that are unique and delicious. Like a passion fruit truffle or a raspberry one. Your girlfriend doesn't want a hundred pieces of chocolate that will make her ask you later if you think she looks fat.
  • Hold her hand. Be nice. Say you love her.
  • Tell her how cool The Bitchy Waiter is.
Alright. And scene. Off for Margaritas. Happy Valentine's Day!




Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter on Twitter.
Click here to find The Bitchy Waiter on

20 comments:

sam said...

damn, done the opposite of everything you've just said.......... Nah, just messing didn't get anyone anything for valentine's day

Anonymous said...

Haha I would have to agree with all of these! This is too funny. Good for you or getting that pitcher tonight. ;)

California Girl said...

You're an addiction. Much as I try to resist, I keep reading.\

Hope you VD is as good as you do.

Jill said...

When you said you were gonna "get your VD on," I thought of something comepletely different.

The second to tlast one made me go "d'aww..."

And doing the last one will TOTALLY get you laid.

Eden said...

Enjoy your VD! (snigger)

Anonymous said...

Great list. Every man should read this. :-) Happy Valentine's Day!

Erica L said...

Since we're poor, he did actually get me a heart-shaped box of chocolates. Cliche? Yes. But he still holds my hand and tells me he loves me every day. Besides...I'm a huge sweet tooth and I couldn't ask for anything more. Happy VD!

Anonymous said...

Aww, even you didn't bitch about Valentine's Day. Nice to know you aren't always bitchy, it can cause wrinkles. Hope you have a wonderful date!
<3

Kate said...

Great advice, Bitchy! Hope you're enjoying the margaritas! Happy VD.

Travelin' Mike said...

Hope you had a good time! Good advice in this post!

Amanda said...

I REALLY wish my husband would have read this post and followed your advice. It's also my birthday today. I got: A big card; a stuffed animal, a dozen roses with baby's breath. No joke. And I paid for dinner.

Jazita said...

good advice ya...
one rose is really lame....
and i dun like love shape chocolate box too....
nice!

J.J. said...

oh god, I woulda killed for margaritas tonight!

We don't usually "do" Valentine's Day, which I was thankful for because I jacked up his birthday by being sick and getting him nothing (later made him a quilt, but that doesn't make up for a sucky b-day), so this was a time for me to redeem myself. He got: a whisk (he's the cook here, and bitches that we don't have one but never bought one), four $5 movies (that he likes), a giant sack of Snickers bars and Twix, and a Birthday card making fun of his memory loss due to a traumatic brain injury from OIF or whatever the hell our wars are called now.

Heyoooo!

I hope your night was more badass than mine.

www.judiciousjailbird.blogspot.com

Mary A. said...

OMG you are SO RIGHT! I HATE ROSES. They are cheap, lame flowers. I would rather have a big boquet of carnations -- cheap, yes, but happy flowers and not at all cliched.

And after 18 years of marriage I'm all "you know the $60 you paid for these could have gotten me a pedicure, right?"

Happy Valentine's Day!

Dirty Disher said...

I quite like the baby's breath. Sorry. But, I also hate chocolate, so I'm not normal.

Anonymous said...

So not being a giant douche I was aware of most of the list save the very last bit of advice.

So i actualy told my wife I loved her and in the same breath how cool the Bitchy Waiter is.

She said and I quote "I didn't know you read that blog! And yes, very cool!".

Well done sir!

The Bitchy Waiter said...

Anon: I love that!

Tony Van Helsing said...

Good piece of advice at the end.

The Virginia Beach Blogger said...

Thanks. I bought her a new Dirt Devil Vacuum...It is red which is perfect for Valentines.

Mister Matt said...

The tinfoil-wrapped chocolate that looks like a rose is a really cool gift only to those under the age of twelve. Or to those who hate chocolate. Or to those you hate.