Friday, February 25, 2011

Thou Shall Not Blog (Just Kidding)

You may recall that I was hoping to start a new job soon. Well, I did a few of weeks ago and I am being very careful about blogging because we certainly don't need a repeat of my last firing situation. That place was a cluster fuck and by the way, after I was fired, I received a mass email to the staff saying that their new policy was that no one was allowed to Facebook, Tweet or blog about the people or events at the restaurant. To all those people I worked with at that shit show: you're welcome. And Holly Hobbie, if you're reading this, you really did need to pull that stick out of your ass. Anyhoo, I did start a new job but I am not going to say exactly when I started and I will be very vague about specifics. In other words, if Katy Perry comes in to the new job, I will not be talking about her specifically. It would be something like " a pop star who kissed a girl and she liked it." That way no one would know who I was talking about.

At my new job, things are so far so good. When I was given my rules and guidelines the first thing I did was see if there was a specific bylaw about blogging. I saw this:

Employees wanting to share their own personal opinions on the Internet are not allowed to do so while using company computers.

Score! So as long as I used my own computer, I could write whatever I wanted to write. Joy! Rapture! Celebration! Fireworks! But then I saw this:

Speaking, publishing or submitting by either electronic or printed means statements that are untrue, malicious or confidential about the company, its guests, co-workers or managers is prohibited.

Ouch. So there it is. How to get around that? So as long as they are true (Holly Hobbie really was a bitch) and not malicious (I think of the things I said about Lispy Gay Manager to be more constructive than malicious) and not confidential (it was no secret that restaurant was bat shit crazy despite the accolades being heaped upon it.) I can write what I want. The trick is to do it in a way that people I work with won't recognize their own work situation, in the off chance that one of the 25 people who read this blog is at my new job with me. I have made a list of rules for myself to follow that hopefully will keep me from getting fired if they hear that I am the Bitchy Waiter:

  • I will not tell one single soul I work with that I blog.
  • I will not friend any of them on Facebook and simply say I don't use it.
  • When something blogworthy happens (and it will) I will not write about it for two weeks so it can be erased from the cache of co-workers memories.
  • If someone is holding up a picture of me in the New York Post, I will light myself on fire in order to turn attention away from the photo.
  • When the restaurants starts to get a lot of press, I will not allow myself to link my blog to every single article, even though it will be very tempting and so easy to do.
  • I will come up with new code names for managers and co-workers and they will all be based on television characters from the 1970's and 80's. (I can't wait to write my first post about Mrs. Garret from The Facts of Life.)
  • If something too good to be true happens and one or all of these rules must be forsaken, so be it.
Wish me luck...




Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter on Twitter.
Click here to find The Bitchy Waiter on Facebook.

20 comments:

Mark W said...

Rules against blogging? They must have heard of The Bitchy Waiter! Your reputation precedes you!

Is the new job the one you had to dress up rock-n-roll style to interview for?

Just Plain Tired said...

Blogging about work is a touchy subject. I do it and try to be as careful, and anonymous, as possible. Best of luck with the new job anf keep on blogging!

Meghan Lynn Allen said...

I can't wait til menopausal boss Ann Romano asks you to be as good as star waiter Danny Partridge. Or Phillip Drummond and Gavin MacLeod undertip you. Or Blair Warner backstabs you! The possibilities are endless...

Noelle said...

Blog on should be a fun challenge to 'protect the innocent' or keep your job. Good Luck can't wait!

Jessica said...

Good luck! Can't wait to hear the dirt:)

blogger sam said...

good luck with that, they are a decent set of guidelines to blog by so hopefully it shall work for you

Krissy said...

A whole new cast of characters? I'm excited! What the hell are the chances of people you work with stumbling onto your blog if you don't tell them?

TalkativeTaurus.com

Krissy said...

Oh, btw.. Please don't light yourself on fire. It's not worth it! Just sayin'...

Dirty Disher said...

Please find one Kimmy Gibler.

Ms. Ro Chelle said...

I just love your blog. It's beyond entertaining.

Editor said...

Good luck with the new job!

J.J. said...

you. are. awesome.

(but you know that, right?)

Cielo Gold said...

I use my bartending blog as a way to vent. It's one of the best ways for me to turn an awful situation into a learning experience. Honestly, when a customer does something really interesting at work, I don't get mad anymore. I just take notes and write about it in my blog for others to enjoy the experience with me.

Good luck with the new job and don't quit blogging. I would be sad if I didn't have your blog to read.

imajeepguy said...

I wish you the best, but this will not end well.

Unknown said...

Good luck! I'd hate for you to stop blogging.

Rachel said...

I'm so excited!!! Congratulations on the new job on behalf of all 25 of us!

lj said...

Hmm? didn't see "Freedom to *itch!!" on that set of rules. peculiar?

Hope they don't look at you sideways. "Is that BW?"

xx

Sassy Pants said...

Flerg. The Google log-on screen redirected me to fix my cookies setting and I lost my original comment.

Sorry, it was pretty clever but I don't want to retype the whole thing.

Anyway, love your blog! I'm in the hotel industry and see some rid-ic-u-lous shizz go down. Thus I emphathize immensely.

Take care my wayward friend, take care.

Sassy Pants said...

Flerg. The Google log-on screen redirected me to fix my cookies setting and I lost my original comment.

Sorry, it was pretty clever but I don't want to retype the whole thing.

Anyway, love your blog! I'm in the hotel industry and see some rid-ic-u-lous shizz go down. Thus I emphathize immensely.

Take care my wayward friend, take care.

Sassy Pants said...

...aaand it doubled up my comments. THAT WASN'T ME!!