Wednesday, October 20, 2010

For Travis S.

I went to dinner last night at a place called 5 Napkin Burger. They serve all grass-fed organic beef that is sustainable and all that, but the reason I go there is because the burgers are melt in your mouth delicious and they serve totally healthy cocktails. Well, the cocktail I get has a blackberry in it or something so I assume that it has some kind of anti-oxidants and I also look at it as a fruit serving for the day. But a special shout out to our server Travis who is one of those waiters that I aspire to be, but may never actually become. He was efficient, polite, funny, knowledgeable, always there when we needed him and super friendly. In other words, the antithesis of me. Or maybe he was just a great actor and only pretended like he gave a shit when in actuality he was in the side stand bitching and groaning about the douche bags at booth 7. I left a card for The Bitchy Waiter there, so maybe he will see this. If you are out there, Travis, give me a sign! Some things that Travis did that I can only dream of doing at work:

  • He smiled. (I try but it hurts my face.)
  • He went to get my mayonnaise as soon as I asked for it so my burger didn't get cold while he disappeared into the vapors of the back of the house. (It's not that I want to forget their mayo, it just happens...)
  • He alerted us that our second round of drinks were on the way when they seemed to be taking a long time. (I always just think, "they'll get 'em when they get em.)
  • When we asked to put a portion of the bill on one credit card and another amount on the other, he said "okay" and then did it. (I sigh and then say okay.)
  • When he served our cocktails he bent his knees into a squat like they used to teach the Playboy bunnies to to do at the Playboy Club so the drinks don't spill. (I spilled some vodka martini on a lady the other day and told her "good thing it's clear, huh?")
  • He didn't judge us after we each cleared our plates of 10 oz.burgers and crispy piles of french fries and then ordered a side of onion rings so we had something to finish our cocktails with. His reply? "Onion rings will go better with cocktails than dessert would anyway." (He knows how to make an alcoholic feel good.)
  • When he brought us our second round of silver he wasn't irritated that we would be taking up his prime booth for more time. (Or at least he concealed it which I find practically impossible to do.)
  • I saw him laughing with a co-worker instead of complaining, whining, bitching, crying our cursing. (I laugh at work too, but it's usually at someone and not with someone.)
  • He thanked us when we left and told us to have a good night. (It's not that I don't want to say good bye to my tables, it's just that sometimes I am busy in the side stand laughing at someone or taking a sip of my cocktail.)
Thank you Travis for a wonderful dining experience. Good job. Kudos. Job well done.

Oh and go here to look at my Etsy shop, okay?

Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter blog.
Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter on Twitter.
Click here to find The Bitchy Waiter on Facebook.


Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

GOOD for you!. I bet u will go back to that place...Wished we had one in Cali.... and I hope Travis does drop by your page...

BB said...

This is something I try to do. Acknowledge great service whenever I can. I often leave comments on the table or let the manager know. It goes a long way because it is truly something to be appreciated in a truly cynical world.

Mary A. said...

Sounds like a suckup to me.

He totally wanted a mention on this blog. He's been following you for years. I mean, how couldn't he?

Thanks for the opportunity to be bitchier here than I can be on my own blog. www.giftoffat.com in case anyone wanted to follow me. Even though I haven't posted anything really funny in a while.

Miss Vicki said...

Love the 'spilled vodka on a lady the other night and said good thing it was clear huh?' Love it! I'm a new follower and I'm loving your blog...great stuff :)

CarrieMarie said...

this was sweet, sardonic and wonderful all at once! thanks!

holly said...

Mary A is hilarious. I also enjoyed the clear vodka comment of your's.

Sharlene T. said...

What if you just tried to do ONE of those things, per day, for a month? Wouldn't you have acquired some of his traits? Think on it... Your call...

Melanie said...

Someone told me once that the manager sees the credit card slips for the day, so I always leave good comments there about my server. I have no idea if it's true...but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside to think so!

Jenn said...

We went there last night. OMG! Best. Burgers. Ever!!!!! & the frozen strawberry mojito was so yummy! Love your blog!

cyberisis said...

I love 5 Napkin Burger! I Went there last spring with some friends. I would definitely go back...