Sunday, September 12, 2010

Thank You For Being a Friend

One of the best things about working in a restaurant is usually the people you work with. Granted there are always a few folks who you could do without, but for the most part the co-workers are one of the things that makes waiting tables tolerable. (The tips that allow you to pay your mortgage and buy food goes without saying.) How many of us have stayed at a job way longer than we should have just because all of of our friends worked there? I worked at Houlihan's for two and a half years or so. About eighteen months of that was just because I had so much fun with friends like Jane, Randie, Corinne and Kim. (Hello ladies, if you're reading this.) The thing is, I have not worked at Huli's for over ten years and I am still friends with the people I met there. That says a lot about co-workers, right? On the other hand, sometimes it's the c0-workers who drive you away from a place.

I worked at a restaurant called Josie's once for about two weeks. I dunno what it was with all the women who worked there, but most of them were totally rude to me. They weren't helpful and they acted like they didn't have room for another bitch on staff so they wanted me out. When I start a job, I am nothing but nice. I am quiet, never curse, never complain and friendly to everyone. In fact, after I have worked someplace a for a few months someone always tells me, "Oh my God, you are so different than I thought you were when you first started." In other words, they thought I was sweet, but they figured out I'm a bitch. Anyhoo, there was this one chick at Josie's (let's call her Evilene) who was so mean. On my first day there, I was wandering around downstairs trying to find the locker room to put my stuff in. I saw a door that was cracked open and poked my head in to see if it was the right place. Evilene was there putting her shirt on. "Oh, I'm sorry," I said. All she was doing was buttoning up her shirt but she acted like I just walked in on her while she was taking a dump or changing her tampon. "Excuse me, there is someone in here! I don't know where you grew up, but when you see a door closed, you knock on it first!" I apologized again and kinda laughed. "I wasn't even sure if this was the locker room and since the door was cracked open..." She interrupted me. "Well, here we knock first, okay? Got it?" What a bitch. It was a fucking communal locker/store room. It was my first day. Get over yourself. Like I really wanted to see her in her bra and panties. When I quit two week later, I told the manager that one of the reasons I hated it there was because Evilene was such a bitch.

At Houlihan's we changed clothes in the middle of the fucking dining room as we ate breakfast. We liked each other. We made each other laugh. It was what kept us all there. We were a family like a giant tree branching out towards the sky. We are a family like a giant tree, growing stronger, growing wiser. We are growing free. We are a family. The point is that no matter how crappy your job is, you can usually find something good about it and nine times out of ten, it's the people you work with. Okay, all together now: awwwwww.

(Bonus points to anyone who can name the two musicals referenced in this post.)


Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter blog.
Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter on Twitter.
Click here to find The Bitchy Waiter on Facebook.


Share/Bookmark

16 comments:

Rachael said...

Dreamgirls?

Lolamouse said...

Hey d-
The Wiz and Dreamgirls!
Luv ya!

Gabriele Agustini said...

You are SO right on!!
I worked at a club, back in the day, that had a real bitch of a manager. She took an immediate dislike to me and made me work harder and stay longer than most everyone else.

I took it for a little over a week, before I quit.
In those days I knew some really cool country music singers, and one night, shortly after I quit,
George Jones played there.
As he walked in, with his band, I was right there next to him. I sat next to him at his table.
Miss stick-up-her-ass was our server! HA!

She was gushing all over him and then came to take MY order and said in a loud voice, "It's YOU!"
Yeah, bitch, it IS! How do you like me now?
I just had to share that story with you. :)

lj said...

omg lol nice picture.
My birthday is on wed. Two words came to thought "golden years".

Cute coincidence anyways, wink.

& how old?.....nice try

Anonymous said...

She probably got the pervert vibe from you and that is why she hated you from then on. I would hate you too if I had to work with a queen like you. :)

California Girl said...

Brady Bunch Goes Broadway

The Lion King

The Bitchy Waiter said...

Lolamouse: ding ding ding!!

Jeff said...

What the f--- is up with anonymous? Husband must be out with the waitress tonight!

A Bitch Called Mom said...

Ok, now you've got that god awful Golden Girls theme song stuck in my head. Thanks. (Hi Empress!)

On an unrelated (yet still related) note, I worked at a bank for three years just because I loved my fucking co-slaves so much.

golden girls dvd said...

golden girls is classic and great.i love it!

Sh@s said...

So, true. I love my workplace coz of my friends. Weekends become so boring without them.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bitchy,
I kind of miss Houliland. We had fun then and life seemed simpler. I remember the first day of training sitting at a large round table with you and AJ in station 8, I think. Those were the days! Footloose and fancy free. Taking a cigarette break IN the kitchen and then telling a manager "F*&#k You" when he asked us to go back on the floor during the rush.
Memories.
Love,
Jane

Anonymous said...

I worked for KFC/Taco Bell for seven years and when I finally left, it was because of one woman who drove me away (and not just me; one entire store she worked for took up a petition for their manager where they offered to do double-shifts if she'd just get rid of that one woman.)

Recently when I went back in my old store, they told me that the woman is currently in the local mental health hospital.

Anonymous said...

I am not that same anon lady. I just don't like queens who think they are the shiz and everyone praises them for it.

Elmira said...

Thanks for sharing.

Tenax Technologies is a Belarussian software company delivering complex web solutions. We provide comprehensive Java development of complex internet systems.

Krissy said...

Thaaaaanks, Bitchy. Now I have that "We are a Family" song stuck in my head from Dream Girls. Now I have to watch the entire movie to drown this one song out