Sunday, September 26, 2010

Awkwardness With Reichen

I had an awkward moment the other night and I'm not talking about the usual awkward moment I have when I put on my apron and think "what the hell am I doing with my life?" It was a different awkward moment.

I went to eat at a restaurant that is owned by my former employer. I have written about him before and kinda raked him over the coals a little bit when he closed the place I worked and dumped us all with no warning. I won't say what restaurant I used to work at because that would be totes unprofessional. But I went to his other place to eat because I like the food and sometimes I know someone there who will give me some free shit. As soon as we walked in, we noticed that Reichen Lehmkuhl was having dinner there. Does anyone know who he is? He won the reality show The Amazing Race a few years ago and has parlayed that success into some quasi-level of celebrity. He's a total fame whore and will do anything for attention if he thinks it will make him a little bit more known. (In other words, exactly like me...) He was doing a play here in New York City recently and I wrote a review about it because it's one of my many fucking jobs that I have. He was pretty bad in it and I gave the show a pretty shitty review. So there I was a just a few feet away from this man whom I had said was a bad actor but looked really good in his underwear (not unlike me.) He didn't know who I was and there was no chance he would realize that I was one of the people who had reviewed him so poorly, but it was weird.

The hostess took us to our table and then I saw John, the owner of the restaurant, at the bar. Seriously? Now there were two people in this place who I had totally reamed online? I had heard that the owner knew I had trashed him on my website and here I was just three feet away from him and hoping that someone would give me free food? Awkward. I slid into the booth as quickly as possible so he wouldn't see me. It would have been very embarrassing to have been asked to leave because my mouth was watering for a chicken chilaquiles and a gingerita. He never saw me. Or if he did, he either didn't remember me or didn't give a shit. After a few sips of tequila, I didn't care anymore either.

Reichen eventually left never knowing of course that his bad reviewer was so close by. I suppose the only way he will ever know is when he sees this posting. You know his ass has a Google alert that tells him whenever his name goes on to the Internet (again, just like me.) But I started to think about my reckless behavior and how immature it is of me to spout off things about people and then just post it on the Internet. Hey, maybe I am being irresponsible. Maybe I'll grow up and try to really think about what I write. Hey, maybe I'll dye my hair. Maybe I'll move somewhere. Maybe I'll get a car. Maybe I'll drive so far they'll all lose track. Maybe I'll sleep real late. Maybe I'll lose some weight. Maybe I'll clear my junk. Maybe I'll just get drunk on apple wine. Me, I'll be just fine and dandy.

(Anyone recognize the musical theater reference there?)



Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter blog.
Click here to follow The Bitchy Waiter on Twitter.
Click here to find The Bitchy Waiter on Facebook.


Share/Bookmark

13 comments:

Bob said...

It truly is a Hard Candy Christmas.

Of course, since you're talking about reichen, I think he used to work at the Best Little Whorehouse In Texas!

Maria said...

Best little Whorehouse in Texas!

Maria said...

Oh, boo. Slower fingers.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Hey, say what u wanna say..after all isn't it their actions what caused u to write about it? so in effect their the ones who instigated your comments... Lighten up. lol...I am sure u will be fine.

Just Plain Tired said...

You did good -- dodging two bullets in one setting. My luck would have involved one, if not both, seeing/recognizing me.

Mary A. said...

He looks pretty good in his panties tho.

Anonymous said...

I have a Google alert for Reichen and that's the only way I was led to your sorry blog. He's more famous for being admired for his military service and gay rights advocacy, and rise from total poverty, and less of a famewhore, like a waiter who is trying to get people to look at him for...being a waiter and a bitter queen. You should read Reichen's book. You are truly ignorant of this guy. I saw his play and it was hilarious. I look at the good in life. I'm sorry such a good accomplished guy had to be so close to your miserable company.

Gabriele Agustini said...

Great blog-post, as usual!!
Thanks for taking the time to write them!!

Just Plain Tired said...

Could Anonymous be Reichen himself? That would be rich. Regardless, Anonymous is much, much too uptight. I recommend a nice massage and a glass of warm milk. ;)

Jasmine said...

I agree, I think anonymous has got to be Reichen. What kind of person sets a Google Alert on someone else?

Guy said...

Jasmine, I was wondering, "What kind of person sets up a Google alert on themselves?" I've set up Google alerts on plenty of people or subjects I was interested in.

SkippyMom said...

@Jasmine - A stalker.

Oops - sorry Guy didn't see you there. ;)

Jasmine said...

@Guy I can see setting a Google Alert on yourself, especially if you're running your own business and want to see what people are saying and stuff like that. In fact, I just set one up for mine.